What is S137?
Under Section 137 of the Local Government Act 1972, Milton-under-Wychwood Parish Council has discretionary powers to award grants to local groups or organisations for “purposes, which may bring a direct benefit to the area or any part of it for some or all the inhabitants”.
To be considered for a donation, applicants must make a written application to the Parish Council and provide necessary details as requested.
Currently, the Council set their budget for S137 donations in line Section 137(4)(a) of the Local Government Act 1972
The Council have adopted the following policy:
- Applications for grants can be made anytime of the year.
- Applications will only be considered on receipt of a completed application form.
- The Council reserves the right to grant limits in line with budget requirements and or expenditure it maybe required to make.
- All applicants will be notified regardless of application outcome.
- Successful applications will be recorded in the Council meeting minutes.
- Grants will be paid by BACS into the organisations account.
- Grants must be spent within the current tax year.
Applying for S137 Funding
If you feel that your organisation would benefit from a S137 donation then please contact the Parish Clerk for more information. Alternatively, you can fill in an application form (see below).
Criteria for Making a Funding Request:
Any organisation, club or society that wishes to make an application for a Section 137 donation must:
- Submit a fully completed application form.
- Identify how the donation will benefit the local community.
- The organisation, club or society must be non-profit making.
- All applications above £250 must be accompanied by the most recent Annual Accounts and a copy of their most recent bank statement.
- Each application must state the names of any other organisations to which an application for Grant aid has been made.
- Receipts for all transactions that have been made with the grant must be provided to the Parish Council with 28 days upon request.
- Any grant that the Council offers is on the understanding that the applicant is responsible for obtaining any necessary legal permissions (including insurances). The offer of the grant by the Council should not in any way be taken as any authorisation.
- The applicant must notify the Council in advance if they are unable to fulfil or need to change any part of their application.
- The Council will request immediate repayment of any grant, and pursue all costs, if it is felt any criteria has not been adhered to.
The application form can be downloaded here and must be submitted to the Parish Clerk either in writing or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications cannot be considered from:
- Organisations which support or oppose any political party,
- Organisations that discriminate on the grounds of sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief, age or
- Organisations or establishments for whom Central Government, Health Authorities, County or District Councils are the appropriate statutory funder.